The BOOKS ARE MY BAG Bookshop Launch takes place on Saturday,
September 14th with booksellers across the UK and Ireland kicking off
the campaign with THE BIG BOOKSHOP PARTY. You’ll have bags for your
customers and eye-catching Point of Sale for your bookshop, all backed
by an international celebrity PR campaign.
And the Bookshop Launch is just the start – you’ll be able to use BOOKS
ARE MY BAG in all your pre-Christmas marketing plans and materials.
BAGS OF IDEAS
Here’s what’s coming your way to help you take part in the BIG BOOKSHOP PARTY – CHECK OUT WWW.BOOKSAREMYBAG.COM
• Available to download now is a ‘save the date’ template invitation for you to
send out to your customers with your details added.
• And in a couple of weeks we’ll send you a second invitation template –
customisable to take more individual bookshop detail.
• Every bookshop who has ordered BAMB bags will receive, in early September,
a full Point of Sale Kit, which will include posters, bookmarks, window stickers,
bunting and balloons. It will all be in the bright orange livery of the campaign and
has been designed to let you create a party atmosphere in the shop, and start a
conversation with your customers and with your wider community. Bedeck your
shop with the POS and organize Big Bookshop Party activities and the campaign
will be live in your town, creating a nationwide bookshop party!
• The central poster in the POS pack is a photo-montage of all the participating celebrities. We’ll also supply an ‘empty’
photo-montage poster for bookshops to fill with pictures of their own customers holding the campaign bag – this is
a great opportunity to create a buzz on your main street – take photos of your customers with the bags, and post
their photographs on the A1 poster in your shop or in the window. It should provide a great talking point!
• Use social media to communicate the spirit of BOOKS ARE MY BAG to your customers from now through to launch.
We will be using the @BABooksellers Twitter account to make announcements to booksellers in the lead up to
the Bookshop Launch on 14th September, and also using @IndieBound_UK to spread the word. The consumer
Twitter activity will use the @booksaremybag account – feel free to follow us on all the accounts.
Follow @booksaremybag on Twitter and use #booksaremybag to keep up with campaign activity
Visit the campaign on Facebook www.facebook.com/booksaremybag
Post your Pinterest images on the campaign page on www.pinterest.com/booksaremybag
Visit Instagram and post images there too @booksaremybag
More ideas for your BIG BOOKSHOP PARTY:
• encourage invitees to tell a friend/bring a friend
• create a personal bookshop manifesto for BOOKS ARE MY BAG
– examples of this are the IndieBound 10 points, or Declaration of
Independents that some main streets have already adopted,
check out a few of the shop local movements –
for ideas and inspiration
• create a striking display of orange (and white) books
• create a ‘memory wall’ and use social media to encourage customers
to share their memories of a bookshop
• serve tea and orange cakes (carrot cake is the obvious one!) –
you could also consider getting BAMB cake toppers for cupcakes –
try www.caketoppers.co.uk for starters
• serve orange drinks (including BOOKS ARE MY BAG cocktail;
we’re getting a recipe made by a ‘mixologist’) and we’ll put that up
on the website
• give stuff away (BOOKS ARE MY BAG bookmarks, balloons or anything
else) – we are supplying 35 balloons per shop as part of the POS
kit, but you can order extra stuff to make them into give-aways –
sticks, helium, ribbons – check out www.balloon.co.uk
if you need any extras
• invite local musicians into the shop to perform
• play audio readings rather than music in the shop,
so customers can HEAR the books while they are browsing!
• dress staff in BOOKS ARE MY BAG t-shirts or orange clothing –
or be otherwise inspired to fancy dress your shop and your staff!
• offer orange face painting for children (or adults!)
• ‘pimp my bag’ – get kids to be creative in designing their own
bag – maybe offer prizes for the best designs
• display the rolling BOOKS ARE MY BAG video presentation which will
be available to download – it is a lovely montage video of all the
famous supporters of the campaign, which you can play on a loop in
the shop or in the window
• play the Bookshop Band’s BOOKS ARE MY BAG song/video which
will be available to download in early september
• make your own, bookshop-specific, bunting to enhance the POS
• Have Fun!
For more information: www.booksaremybag